Monday, April 16, 2012

Fat loss, and weight loss.

Ok, I got a bit busy, and I haven't blogged in a little while. Sorry about that. Once again I'd like to assure ... myself, and whoever might be reading these horribly boring blogs, that I am still working out, almost every day. My pants are fitting way loose, and I've found another latch in my belt I've never reached before.

But, my weight hasn't gone down a lot. This could frustrate some people, and if I didn't know better, it would tick the heck out of me. So, I figured I'd blog about it.

This is my take on it, my opinion. When someone tells me something about diet or exercise, the first thing I ask is in what context they feel this fits. Just think about it, if you are lifting and trying to build muscle, not every diet will work, right? Or someone tells you what to eat, but you aren't lifting at all you are trying to "loose weight". I'm all about keeping things really simple, and later working out the details and getting complicated. Lets do some goals people have, and I'll give my take on what is needed.

"I want to loose weight." Ok cool. Get naked. You'll loose 2, maybe 3 lbs. Or, stand on the scale slightly more toward the top or bottom. If having the numbers on the scale go down will make you happy, cool. Here is my humble plan for you. Eat less. Move more. Want more details? Eat less carbs, get your heart rate up more. Use more calories than you eat in a day and you will loose fat, and fat is the weight you want to loose. Other than this, different strokes work for different folks.

"I want to have more energy." Now we are getting somewhere. You get more energy by using more energy and eating right. Eating right for me is eating less, eating veggies and fruits, whole grains, taking good vitamins and supplements. Also doing cardio and doing intervals, reaching your peak and expanding your wind is a great way I get more energy. Now instead of looking at your weight, you are just doing it to feel good. Guess what, you'll probably loose FAT and inches.

"I want to look good again." Now this is getting deep. This is more what I want. Build muscle, loose fat, but don't look at the scale unless you are using it to make sure you are eating enough. I'm loosing fat and building muscle at the same time, so I'm not loosing a bunch of weight. I will probably in a while, but that's not my goal. I want to loose FAT. If I weigh 200lbs, but it's all muscle, I'll look awesome! Oh, remember, the more muscle you have, the more potential calories you can burn.

"I want to be healthy."  So this to me, is the most important statement. And it can really mean a lot of different things, but it's the most important. Even getting all big and muscle bound can actually be unhealthy. I want to be healthy, and honestly, that's the way to be. You'll feel better, you will look better, and you'll feel more confident. You might even loose weight...

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm tired of everyone saying they want to loose weight, when they really mean they want to loose fat. I'm really tired of people thinking they will be happy once they "loose weight". Ok this blog is way too long now, so I'll talk later. I'm going to the gym now.


No comments: